IELTS for migration

You may need the IELTS General Training test to migrate to countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK.

If you are planning to migrate to an English speaking country, immigration authorities may ask you to provide evidence of your English language ability. People migrating to Australia, Canada and New Zealand sometimes have the choice of taking the IELTS General Training test.

In Australia, you can use your IELTS test score for a variety of visa categories, including for permanent residency.

Immigration New Zealand accepts IELTS for visas related to skilled migrants, investors and entrepreneurs.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) normally requires evidence of English proficiency for work visas and migration purposes. The IELTS General Training test is the only internationally available English language test that IRCC accepts.

If you’re planning to migrate to the UK you may need to take one of the IELTS for UKVI tests. There are different tests you can take depending on your visa – IELTS for UKVI Academic, IELTS for UKVI General Training and IELTS for UKVI Life Skills.

Legislation about immigration changes frequently. It’s important to check what changes may apply to you from the immigration authorities of the country you are planning to migrate to.


The Academic and General Training test fee is the same. The cost of the test is 80 KD.

There is no limit on how many times you can retake the IELTS test. It is recommended you do additional study and preparation before retaking IELTS. 

IELTS may be a requirement for entering your desired course in an educational institution. It is also used in many countries as a part of their migration assessment. If you are not sure as to why you might need to sit the IELTS test or about the score you need, contact the organisation you are applying to.
They will be able to provide further information, including whether native speakers need to complete the IELTS test. Even if English is your primary language, you will still need to prepare for the test.

The band score  you need  to  study abroad is set by the institution to which you are applying and not by IELTS.

The score needed to apply to  a course may vary based on the institution or course you want to apply for.

The band score you need to migrate to a particular country varies.