IELTS test format: General, Academic and UKVI

Learn about the different IELTS test types and find out which IELTS test you need to take to achieve your work, study or migration goals.

If you wish to study abroad at a university or a college as an undergraduate or postgraduate student, you can take up the IELTS Academic test. This test can also help if you want to enter or register in a professional institution.

On the other hand, you can choose the IELTS General Training test if you wish to migrate to an English-speaking country.

The organisation where you plan to work or study sets the requirements. So, before you register for your test, it’s good to check which one is right for you.


If you plan to study in higher education or seek professional registration in an English-speaking country, you might need to take an IELTS Academic.

The General Training test looks at your English-language capabilities in a work or social environment. If you plan to study in secondary education, enroll in vocational training, move abroad for work or migrate to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK or the USA, you might need to take an IELTS General Training.

IELTS and IELTS for UKVI are the exact same test in terms of format, content, scoring and level of difficulty. The only difference is an IELTS for UKVI test is approved by the UK Home Office for work, study and migration purposes.

If you take an IELTS for UKVI test, your test report form will be a little different to show you have taken an IELTS for UKVI test at an approved test centre.

You do not need your own computer or laptop to sit a computer-delivered IELTS test.

All equipment, including computers and headphones will be available at the test centre where you booked your computer-delivered IELTS test.